Friday, April 30, 2010

My Breast Reduction Story


They Are Staring at My Boobs!

This story is about why I chose to have a breast reduction.

Why are won't they look at my face when they talk to me? This bra mom bought hurts and pinches, I don't know why she makes me wear it. These were all thoughts I had in my 5th grade year. I was painfully uncomfortable with the fact that boys and men would talk to me, while staring at my chest, I didn't understand why. Over the summer my breasts had grown and my mom bought me a training bra and it HURT! I was frustrated and sad everyday. I would go home and cry because I didn't know why everyone was staring at my chest.

The Middle School Years.

The boobs didn't slow down, they were on their own mission. Grow, grow, and grow. And they did. I finally grew accustom to boys talking to my boobs. I had to wear shirts that were two sizes bigger than my small frame to accommodate these two growing monsters. I hated them. Phy-Ed was a horror story. I would run and they would bounce up and down on their own. I joined the cheer leading squad, only to be humiliated by the coach after she stated they would have to purchase a new cheer leading sweater for me, because there were no sizes that fit over me. Girls wouldn't talk to me. I got comments like, the boys only like you because you have boobs. Frustrated and sad, day after day, all because of my boobs!

High School - a bit better!

By the time I reached high school, the boobs were still on a mission. I had also learned the fine art of sarcasm and I used it well. When the boys talked to my boobs, I would tell them, "I'm sorry, they won't talk back", "Look, but don touch", "If you want to hold a conversation with me, look at my face". They finally got the hint! The girls jealousy still remained, yet I finally created friendships with girls who saw me and not the boobs. I was still wearing shirts and sweaters that were to big and tried as hard as I could to hide these montrosities that were growing from my body.
The first date. This guy was so nice in school. Easy to talk to, fun to be around and he asked me to go out with him! I was thrilled, believing that he wanted to go on a date with me, not the boobs. Well, you know how that turned out. When he brought me home after our first date, we parked the car and the first thing he did....HE ASKED ME IF HE COULD FEEL THEM! I went inside my house and cried for hours. Date after date, similar incidents happened. Some guys just thought they could auto touch - but I was diligent, you either like me for me and not the boobs!

Life Goes On, The Pain gets worse.

College life was much easier. Men still talked to my boobs, but I ignored them. I figured if they were dumb enough to talk to my boobs, they were a waste of my time. When I began working in the real world, the same things happened, grown men were now talking to my boobs, men who were old enough to be my father.
The boobs continued their growth. I continued to try and hide them. The pain they caused me both physically and mentally was no fun. I had deep indents on my shoulders and under my breast from the bra straps and underwires. I began have terrible back pain and migraines. I lived with it, thinking what else can I do?

My future husband.

In the mid 80's I met a wonderful man. We dated for a long time before he even tried touching my breasts - and I thought for sure, he was the one. He liked me for me & not the boobs! We eventually married and I was over the moon in love (still am). The pain, however, continued to get worse & I tried Physical Therapy and Chiropractors with no avail. My general doctor suggested I have a breast reduction. A what? He went on to explain in detail that I could have my breast's reduced to eliminate the pain & discomfort I felt on a day to day basis. The one drawback was, I might not be able to breastfeed if we had children. So I said no.

Baby girl & breastfeeding.

In early 1990 I gave birth to our first child. She was (and still is) amazing. I was determined to breastfeed her. When I first began feeding her, I thought my breast would smother her, I had to hold her on my lap for her to nurse, I could not hold her up close as the boobs were now milk filled and sat at my waist. We lived in a small town in rural Minnesota, I couldn't find a nursing bra that fit, again I was strapped into a bra that caused more pain than I thought I could have. I developed an infection in one breast, and unfortunately had to stop breast feeding. My big boobs once again were in the way. I hoped and prayed that after I lost my baby weight, that the boobs would also loose weight. I made it back down to 112 pounds and 1 cup size bigger!

Baby Boy!

After our son was born, I opted for bottles versus breast feeding. Fearing from my past experience that I was not destined to breastfeed.
I began classes through Early Childhood Education with my son and became fast friends with other moms. One day over coffee, I was complaining about my neck and shoulder pain. My friend Michele asked if I'd ever considered a reduction and went on to tell me about hers. That night I discussed it with my husband and the next day I made an appointment with Michele's plastic surgeon.

My plastic surgeon rocks!

At my first consultant with the plastic surgeon, he told me that the weight of my breast was causing the extreme pain and headaches I was having. I agreed to the surgery. The insurance paid for it too! The surgeon wanted to bring me down to a "C" cup, I begged for a "B" cup, but he said he wouldn't take that much. He removed one pound off of each breast! I was in heaven. The best surgery I could ever have. I was joyful, pain free and I could buy bras off the rack at Target for cheap!

My 20 Year high school reunion.

My 20 year high school reunion was three months after my surgery. I recived so many compliments on how great I looked. I also had quite a few people stare, but not ask where the boobs went. But after 20 years there were still some boys who never grew up to be men. I had several ask me where my boobs went to? I was astounded at the question, but simply retorted with, "I see you still haven't grown up yet!"
So today I'm comfortable with a 34C. No more bouncy boobs. I can wear shirts that are my size now! I can wear a swim suite that is my size. I can go bra-less and be happy! The headaches and back aches are in the past now & the deep indents in my shoulders disappeared aboout 8 months after my surgery.
I can now say I love my boobs!

- Shared by Jane

No comments:

Post a Comment